The Autonomic Nervous System and our internal systems of regulation, from an embodied perspective
An online lecture/workshop for everybody (not aimed at musicians specifically, but can be useful for musicians as well)
Time: 18 – 20.30 (Norwegian time)
As the times we live in get more and more challenging many of us are faced with a Nervous System on continued high alert.
More than ever we need to cultivate our body´s natural ability to sooth and restore us, and to down-regulate our stress responses, - responses which, at the same time, are very natural given our present-day situation.
So, what does it mean to «down-regulate»?
- Is it simply a matter of forcing ourselves to ignore or repress unwanted thoughts or impulses?
- To «accept and allow» whatever comes?
- To rigorously follow a specific physical and mental regime?
- And should we even try to down-regulate something which can also be a logical reaction to the reality of today?
Maybe the real question should be: are there ways to face and contain the experience of our reality today without paying the price of an over-active survival system?
In this lecture/workshop we will cover ways to interact with the nervous system from a body-mind perspective, - through gentleness firmly rooted in scientific facts, and with a direct relevance to our unique world situation today.
We will explore the physiology of the nervous system and the autonomic nervous system and cover topics like:
- The polyvagal theory and the science of safety
- The neural and chemical systems involved in your stress responses and what affects them.
- Mental and Somatic techniques for increasing resillience, self-soothing and down-regulation of overwhelm and stress responses that seem stuck
- A four step-process to increase the ability to contain difficult and challenging situations and emotions
The workshop will be held on Zoom. All you need is a journal for note-taking.
This will be the first of three lecture/workshops about the nervous system and the fascia system and their interconnectedness in stress-management, pain, movement, and healing. The lecture/workshops are hosted by Maria Hamburger on her platform (mariahamburger.com)
IMPORTANT: If you live in Norway you register by sending an email to email@example.com and pay through Norwegian bank transfer or VIPS. Price is 390,- NOK
Please use this link to read more about the event and order your ticket if you live outside of Norway:
Miriam M. M. Hlavatý is a Timani teacher at the Musicians Health and Movement Insititue in Oslo, Norway, a pianist, bodyworker, somatic coach and lecturer.
Miriam has given courses and lectures both in Norway and abroad on Timani, Pain Science, the Nervous System and the Fascia System. Miriam is a certified Restorative Exercise specialist of Nutritious Movement™. In addition she uses Mind Detox, embodied coaching exercises and somatic awareness techniques in her private practice both online and in person.